Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Eating widely and critically

I left the house this afternoon with the intention of studying for my STAT test this Sunday… instead so far I have looked at laptop bags and had the worst KFC burger of my life. The coffee I got however is good, as was the popcorn chicken.

The STAT test (Adult entry University exam) has come up on me very quickly… seems like only yesterday when I bought the SATAC guide and diligently put off reading or filling in any of the required forms until the last minute. In-fact, I went past the last minute and into the minute that costs you an extra $70 to register. Had one of those moments where you think something is due the month after it is actually due. So that sucked. Anyway, my intention – so as to make it clear to the world – is to sit the STAT test, hopefully pass with enough points to get into architecture, and then defer the course for as long as I possibly can to accommodate my travels. The suggestion given for ‘studying’ for the stat test is really quite vague… it says that while doing the sample questions may give you an idea of what you might come up against, the best way to prepare for the test is to “read widely and critically”. To this end I purchased a book called “The pig that wants to be eaten and 99 other thought experiments” which is very interesting… Basically involves a page or half page of a moral or mental dilemma, and a page or a page and a half of the author’s take on the particular conundrum. Over all it is very enjoyable but has made me think very critically about weather I should buy any more books before I go away. The answer I have come up with so far is no. Hopefully the critical reading will pay off… it will certainly save me money…

I have done some University study, about 10 years ago I started (for some reason that must have made sense to me at the time, but in hindsight makes absolutely none) a degree in Computer and Information Science. I don’t even know what information science is. And computer science? All I know is that I started the course, found out there was copious amounts of programming involved, and spent the next 6 months hanging out in the Uni bar playing pool (which was free) and the Jukebox (also free). I remember distinctly that we played Live’s Throwing Copper to death. That was the album of that particular chapter of my life. To this day it makes me want to sit around and do nothing.

Anyway, 10 years or so have passed and I think I have matured enough to go back to Uni and study something that will improve my chances of getting a job that is fulfilling. Both psychologically, and for my bank account. Right now though I need to go to woolies to get myself something to eat before my Bar course starts. Really can’t rely on the food from the corner stores near TAFE… being situated on Hindley St, they are decidedly aimed at the drunken munchies rather than the brain food needed for a student…

I’m sure there’s more to say, but I’ll leave it for my next day off…

Caio.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Obviously you had today off LOL How is the bar course going?
Mum