Thursday, November 30, 2006

Another Day Off...


Another day off, and I think I’ve established the fact that I don’t necessarily only write on my days off, although I feel a certain obligation to do so, but I’ll write when and where I feel like it. So there…

Today, once again, I find myself sitting on the banks of the Torrens, listening to the sounds of a city; traffic, sirens, water fountains, giggling school girls feeding a flock of assorted birds (ducks, seagulls, half a dozen black swans and a grumpy pelican) and feeling, over all, quite content. The wind is starting to pick up however and I think I see rain on the way. At the first sign I’ll be packing up and heading home, it was in the mid to high 30’s when I left just after lunch, its now probably under 20 and clouding over quite heavily. I’d love to say that I’d see another thunderstorm, but I don’t feel that tingle in the air…

This particular spot along the Torrens is a little bit further up than last time, across the river I can see Adelaide oval where tomorrow the second Ashes Test match will be played... to my left are the entertainment and convention centers… quite nice architecturally speaking, and certainly are distinctive features of the Adelaide river front “skyline” not that they’re very tall, but then again, not many of the Adelaide buildings are. To my right is the king William street bridge into north Adelaide and I can just see the steeple of the big cathedral that marks the entrance to that suburb sticking out above the trees in one of the parks. The “Pop-eye” river boats have been slowly cruising up and down as I watch, tourists waving vaguely to everyone on the river bank, taking photos of people they will never meet, in a city that they probably will only ever see the surface of… Pity…

I really don’t have much to say today… I met a few people in the mall that I knew, one girl from the bar course stopped to chat. She missed the test on Tuesday, 'cause she’s just got a job at one of the big department stores and was asked to work late. I told her that she’d probably be able to sit it this coming Monday, cause the teacher said that if anyone failed it they’d be able to re-sit it then… not that I think anyone would fail it… it was pretty straight forward, we were given 2 hours, and most people were out inside an hour. On top of that the teacher was wandering around the room giving anyone hints on any questions they were having problems with. So that was pretty funny. The other person I met was a guy I went to school with, who didn’t go to the reunion, and he spent about 10 minutes grilling me on what it was like. Didn’t want to be rude and till him he should have just come… but I think he saw it in my face cause he said he’d definitely come to the next one – whether that’s the 15 or 20 year reunion is obviously yet to be decided. I hope they do a 15… it was really good to see everyone.

I think I left the house today with the intention of maybe going to the zoo for a wander around… I did the other thing I was going to do – that’s pay my Contiki tour off, and then wandered thru the university grounds in the rough direction of where I thought I’d seen the zoo once. I knew it was somewhere along the Torrens so I headed that way. I think I smelt it before I saw it… found an entrance and saw the price of $18 per adult and thought I might leave it for when I’ve got a full day to waste. No point spending that much just on an afternoon, so one day in the next few weeks I’ll write an entry from the zoo… maybe pack a lunch, and take a few drinks so I don’t have to pay the exorbitant amount that they are guaranteed to charge once you’re captive inside their gates. Like a lemur or something made to eat whatever they have and pay whatever the price…

Anyway, I think I’m forgetting to do something… not sure what yet… I’m sure I’ll remember after I had to do it… *shrugs* the air is starting to warm up… maybe we will get a thunderstorm after all…



Home now, just to wrap up the day… Did get a thunderstorm, just a little one, and then some really heavy rain. But with-in half an hour it had dried up again and the sun was out. Heard on the news tonight that it only got down to 29.6C last night… no wonder I didn’t think the air conditioner was working so well… that’s the hottest spring night on record in Adelaide... *shrugs* the change has come through now and its cooled off… big day tomorrow, 12 hour shift at work… might get an early night.

Thanks for coming… Have a nice day!
If we were not all so interested in ourselves, life would be so uninteresting that none of us would be able to endure it. - Arthur Schopenhauer

No comments: