Thursday, November 16, 2006

The Path Less Traveled, Starbucks and Emo Pigeons


First of all I’d like to say that I am possibly making blog entries a little too often. Please don’t get too used to it, 'cause I really don’t know how much internet access I’m going to have when I'm away. Also as I’ve referred to in other posts, maybe writing a blog about every single thing you do, might in the end be a little bit like having that video camera, writing about the past instead of living the present… Anyway, we’ll see…

Today Is another day off, and as has become my habit, I have taken to wandering into the city in search of a quiet, or comfortable (but preferably both) place to sit, read, blog or study… or any combination of all of the above. Today I left home with the intention of doing all the normal things. Something stopped me at the intersection and where I always have turned right to take my well worn path into town, today I looked left, saw nice houses and green trees and my legs, seemingly of their own accord followed. It was nice. I can’t say I’ve never gone that way before, but it is very rare, and so when I got to the edge of the parklands on the edge of the city, I even went across the grass, off the path completely, to really muck things up. Its strange how taking a different route thru familiar scenery can give a feeling of strangeness and a disconcerting feeling of not knowing maybe exactly where you are – even though you know precisely the place you’re in, but maybe facing a different direction…

On my way thru the parklands I had an epiphany. There was one of those pigeons with the crest on the top of their heads. This one however had 2 instead of the standard 1… and I’m sure it had eye make up and tight black jeans… way out of its normal habitat; I think the sunshine and masses of school kids had pushed it out of the mall and into the edge of society… Sorry… I’m being silly… But for a moment, I was sure that that might have just been the way the Emo society had started… someone saw my pigeon or one of its forebears and thought, “I like its hair cut, and I think I’d look good in eye make up”

*coughs*

Anyway…

Something then drew me back onto one of my normal paths – thru the mall… Not that you have much choice if you want a coffee… which I did… and the thronging masses lead me straight to Starbucks. While waiting in line wondering why I thought it was a good idea to pay $6 for a coffee and scanning the board for something that even looked like a coffee I might have heard of, I was surprised to see in small writing at the bottom of the list of over priced and over named drinks: “freshly brewed coffee of the day – ask for details” and at the attractive price of only $3 for a large (And when I say large, I mean Venti, and by that I mean ginormous) how could I resist? I asked what it was; she said it’s a Sumatran blend that’s slightly spicy… I said, its $3 it sounds great. And then also bought a low fat blueberry muffin that was sitting by itself behind the glass with all the other muffins looking very sad, very low fat, and very lonely and I realized later when I sat down to eat it why it looked sad – I reckon it had been there for at least 3 days… a bit tough was our little blueberry low fat muffin… but the blueberries were still succulent (or extremely well preserved – I refuse to differentiate) which made up for the toughness of the outside…. I wouldn’t say it was stale… but fresh isn’t a word that I would use on the same day as talking about it either…

From there I found myself walking through the Adelaide Uni campus grounds, coffee in one hand, muffin in the other, and looking for a comfortable place to sit and do my STAT sample questions… (I figure if studying for the bar course works so well in a pub, probably studying for the STAT in a Uni is a good idea too). However I kept walking and found myself at the river. Which is where I’m now; sitting in the sun, watching people walk back and forth across the bridge, birds frolic and catch insects, and small ants crawl over everything I own. But it’s a gorgeous day, the water is sparkling (not clear but the sun is reflecting on it which makes the brownest river look pretty) there’s a very slight breeze every now and then which cools my probably sunburned arms. The strangest thing seems to be a man in a kilt and no top roller-blading along the other side of the river…

On other news I’ve booked my going away drinks for the 9th of December… probably be at the Belgian. Now I’ve found out that that will be the weekend that my parents are down for the last time before I go… might have to change it to the weekend after, but I just worry that if I leave it too late people will have family stuff on and won’t be able to come. I guess if they want to drop in for a couple of drinks they’ll make it either way. I think at my current employment I’ve made some good friends, as I did at my last place of employment… I guess that’s comforting. I’m not sure why exactly, but it’s nice to know that you’re likeable. Even if you don’t make “friend” friends, and they’re just workmates. *shrugs* not sure exactly what I’m trying to say here…

Over all Life feels good…. There’s only 40 days till I leave and I’m getting less scared and more excited as the days tick away… I have my health – and even my foot (my feet have been my biggest problem and concern the last few months) is feeling good… I’m happy, and find myself smiling at nothing…

Maybe I’m just going a little mad…

See you soon world… but not too soon…

No comments: