Thursday, February 08, 2007

More from NYC

So… Big day… started latish and decided to go straight into the centre of the beast – 42nd St – Times square. Even in the middle of the day this place is lit up like Christmas, the 4th of July and New Years, all rolled into one big extravaganza of corporate advertising and Neon lights. Amazing place… you could just stand there for an hour transfixed by the flashing colors, and then strangely have the urge to go eat McDonalds, have several gallons of coke, eat some M&Ms and then go see 15 Broadway musicals… including about 3 versions of the phantom of the opera, and 5 things you can’t pronounce. Anyway… I didn’t spend too much time there, I quickly found the direction I needed to head to get to Madison Square Gardens and pick up my hockey ticket for that night – which I did with no hassles at all… very quick and easy (having said that I saw the line up that night before the game and I’m glad I did it early).
From there I thought I’d go and see if I could find the empire state building – I did… eventually I looked up high enough and there it was… towering above me like some really… um… tall building… It’s ugly… I mean, I guess when you’re that big you don’t need to have cosmetic beauty, its all about how friggin big you are… was actually a bit scary - I looked up towards the top of the building and there was a window either open or had been smashed, and it looked like how it looks in movies when the door opens in an airplane and the air is all rushing out cause of the difference in pressure… there was thick ice all around the window and you could actually see the air escaping… - I tell you one thing – I wouldn’t want to be anywhere near that window. Ever. And apparently I’m thinking of going to the lookout at the top today… I think im crazy. But I did the one in Boston okay… this should be fine… *fingers crossed*

From there I found the Manhattan Mall… which was okay… just a mall… got something to eat, had a look around… I did find a really cool shop that sold a range of college and humorous t-shirts (sometimes they’re the same thing…) 3 for $20… I restrained myself… as much as I love a funny T-shirt… don’t know… I might have to go back today… *coughs*

Then I saw Macy’s… and being a big fan of department stores in all their shapes and forms, I figured I’d have to like “the biggest department store in the world” I ended up deciding that I needed to buy a “going out” outfit, which I managed to do in only 2 hours. I find it hard shopping for clothes for myself when I don’t have anyone there telling me something looks bad. So I went a fairly safe option, a nice pair of Levi’s a shirt and a couple of “sweaters” all name brand stuff and all came to just over $100… not too bad considering I know I would have paid at least that much just for the jeans alone in Australia, and ON TOP of that being a tourist at Macy’s entitles you to a further %11 off your already fantastic value purchase! Even if the service was a bit average (at one point a manager blasted about 6 staff who were all standing around talking – GREAT STUFF!) I figured I did pretty well… Funny thing in Macy’s… I reckon I heard more British accents than almost anything else… it was quite funny, and actually it seems to be a resounding theme throughout the city that there are a LOT of Brits here.

Anyway, by this time it was time for me to head to the Ice hockey game. Detroit Vs New York… without going into it too much; I was allowed to take my camera into the game, which was good – and I got a few good action shots, I was a bit disappointed that I hadn’t been able to take it into the game at Montreal. Madison Square Garden, while possibly being the most famous stadium in the world, is definitely not the biggest… the stadium at Montreal was definitely bigger, and more comfortable. Maybe that’s just cause its newer… who knows… maybe its because new Yorkers would be uncomfortable if they were comfortable… *shrugs* Anyway, I spent an enjoyable game listening to the swearing of a couple of Russians behind me… where the Rangers lost a close game 3 to 4. Having let a 3 1 lead slip from the first period, the fans were rightly pissed off… I would have been too if I’d actually cared who won, as it was, I thoroughly enjoyed myself – apart from worrying that my batter was going to run flat or I was going to run out of space on my memory card and the bread stick that came with the beer…

As we got up to leave the announcer cheerfully suggested that we rug up as it was a toasty 15F outside… so it was a fun ride home wrapped up as one comedian commented “like the mummy”. No, actually it was a fun ride home on the subway… I had my headphones in my ears and my I-pod playing music I like, doing some people-watching. Its funny the looks you get as you’re fumbling in the bottom of your bag with gloves on trying to find a pen and note book under recently purchased clothes from Macy’s with only your eyes showing between your beanie and scarf. Across from me sat a woman who looked remarkably like Whoopi Goldberg… there were people reading books, staring off into their own little world, or with headphone in like me riding the subway to their own personal beat… feet tapping, singing away in their head… was a nice moment… people are still people, even if they’re from New York… whatever they might think… Some people even fall asleep on the trains… it’s a crazy thing to do – a couple of South Africans in my room cheerfully recounted that the last night on the way home after “a few” drinks they fell asleep on the train and ended up on 250th street… I cant even tell you how far out of their way that is – but our stop is 103rd… so that might give you some idea…

Oh, just an observation – apparently the brand “The North Face” is THE jacket to own in NYC… I reckon at least 1 in 4 jackets is that brand… which means there’d roughly be 2 million of them walking around the city… amazing… its everywhere…

Anyway, so I got back to the hostel after the game and who should be sitting at the computers? None other than my Irish friend from Montreal… crazy stuff… so anyway, we got chatting and ended up going out for a few drinks and got back at about 2am this morning… pretty funny…

As for my own personal view on New York City… I mean, everyone says they Love NY… I don’t know… I mean… I don’t think I love it… I like it… its an amazing place, and I respect it… how can you not? It’s a pulsating, girating, hive and hub of civilization… but love? No.
Not yet anyway…

No comments: