Sunday, March 11, 2007

Meat Pies in Brooklyn

So how’s this for random? I was checking my Gmail account the other day, and Google being Google obviously have adds and things. So there’s this little text add at the top of the page that happens to catch my eye – Real Australian and New Zealand meat pies. I’m like, yeah, right, whatever, until I read the next line that says – Made fresh in Brooklyn – Free Delivery. I was like SAY WHAT!!!? I could so go a meat pie right now; I’m going to get one. So I spent an hour on the subway and walked for at least half an hour to find this place and I wasn’t disappointed! Meat pies! Awesome. So I had a potato pie and a steak pie, a flat white coffee, and a lamington. I also got a steak and cheese pie, a plain mince pie, and 2 sausage rolls to take back to the hostel to have for dinner last night, and breakfast this morning. I’m all pied out. I’ve had my fix. But check them out @ www.dubpies.com

Good stuff.

Apart from that, the girl serving there was from Melbourne, we had a good chat about all things Australian, the vegemite/folate scandal, and the problems with finding a decent block of Cheese in North America. She had a gripe about snooty Americans coming in and calling her pies “Cute” and I agreed that “cute” is not a description that should be attached to a chunky steak pie. Ever. Over all it was nice – you could buy Milo, She knew what a flat white was, and all the prices INCLUDED sales tax… I took a whole bunch of menus and distributed them around the hostel… I hope they do well.

Brooklyn is a beautiful suburb… I really liked it, narrow streets, Victorian style townhouses and buildings… Clean. I’m disappointed that I didn’t go there earlier or for longer… I would have stayed and wandered around some more yesterday, but it started snowing. And I already have a cold… I don’t need it go get worse… and I’d forgotten my camera anyway…

Other than that I caught up with one of the Aussies that was in Boston when I was there… funny guy… hmmm. Yeah… anyway, we went out to a bar up the street from the hostel and had a few drinks… met a couple of local girls and chatted to them for a while, Lily and Stephanie. That was fun… they introduced me to their favorite beer – Chimay; which is a Belgian style brune. Quite nice. Chatted about music, accents, and which countries are most likely to be destroyed in a nuclear war. Then after they left, the other Aussie (– we shall for the purpose of the story, call him Michael… for no other reason than that is his name…) called the bar lady over and asked how old she thought he was… and how old she thought I was for that matter… This is always a fun game for me, but this worked out well – she said I looked 24 (seems to be the most common age I get mistaken for…) and he looked 26. He’s 21. He was so devastated… it was great. And still playing the game she asked how old we thought she was (this is when it gets dangerous) he said 22. There was no way she was 22 but there was no way I was going to say that she looked 28, so I said 26. She was 29, and obviously happy with our answers bought us a round of shots on the house… good fun…

And now its time for an apology – I thought I’d posted this one, but I obviously hadn’t. so, here it is… a few days late – but safe and sound. Right now I’m in Atlanta and I’m due to catch a train at 8am tomorrow down to New Orleans for a few days, I’ll write something for you on the train and post it (hopefully – assuming internet access at the hostel) in the next few days.




Everybody lies, but it doesn't matter because nobody listens.
- Nick Diamos

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

prima determined cohesively yrhealth manipulation parent achieving vets commodity partridge aluvia
lolikneri havaqatsu