Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Road Trip #2 - I Love Montreal!

No, really, I do… I could live there… I even love not being able to speak the language, it’s hilarious. Where do I start? I guess… I got into Montreal on Thursday evening, after having had about 3 hours sleep the night before. At least I wasn’t hung-over… that would have been awful, I was just tired. But when I got in I discovered that it was pub crawl night at the hostel… never one to pass up an opportunity, I thought, bugger-it, I’ll sleep tomorrow. So… go out I did, I have a habit of getting pizza at 4am in Montreal with random people that I meet along the way. And that happened again. We ended up in a diner Me, Chris (the tour guide) and two of his friends from the Geography party that we ended up at – Natasha and a girl that looked suspiciously like Avril Lavigne. I feel terrible that I can’t remember her name – all I think of is Avril… by no means a bad thing. Really good night.

The next day I slept… got up at about 2pm, to find that Montreal had received nearly a foot of snow, and it was still snowing… was a good day, mostly because I didn’t do anything. Then the evening rolled around and an Aussie guy – Wes, from Sydney, who had been one of the other 5 Aussies out drinking the night before, found me and told me about this festival they were having down in Old Montreal. I’ve always wanted to go to old Montreal, so we headed down there, got Wild-boar-sausage-on-a-stick (surprisingly good) went on the 120ft ice slide, and wandered around for a while 'til we got cold and felt like heading back to the hostel. Got in at about 11, nice early night.

Yesterday other than organizing my train ticket – again, during the day I didn’t get up to a great deal. Until 6.30 that is when there was an organized tour back to old Montreal and Ice Skating! I’ve been wanting to go ice skating since I’ve been here... its SO much fun. I honestly think the last (and first) time I went ice skating would have been in Hobart maybe… 7 or 8 years ago… so its been a while… mind you, I do have rollerblades and the motion is almost identical, but I haven’t been on my blades in probably 5 years… at least… So it took me a while to get back into the swing of things. Ended up cruising around quite nicely, getting up a fairly good speed – and if I needed to stop I could always throw myself into a bank of snow. Which I did several times, just for fun. I found that I am good at turning left, not so good at right. But I am proud to say that I didn’t fall over (accidentally) at all. Came close a couple of times, but it didn’t actually happen. Much to the disappointment of a particular French girl who had pushed me into the snow on the way there. I’m sorry Pa, I think I like French people… girls at least.

And I’d just like to say that Switzerland is NOT neutral. Not at all. Bastard.

So anyway… I think this time in Montreal, I’ve met more Aussies than any other part of my trip… there were 5 of us the first night on the pub crawl, and a completely different 5 (except me of course – common denominator) when we went ice skating, plus a heap of others that I only met in passing, there would have been 16 or 20 just in the 3 nights… most of which had come from Whistler or the other west coast snow resorts for a change of scenery, and to get away from all the Australians. No such luck… Anyway, we went ice skating, then we went drinking. It’s a good thing the bars close at 3 otherwise I wouldn’t have gotten ANY sleep last night, as it is I had to wake up at 7.30 so I could pack and be ready in time to catch the train. Which I am on now. And YES it’s so much more comfortable than the bus. Not hard, but anyway… this is going to be a 9 hour trip… so there will be sleeping involved. At least they have a power point so I can charge my laptop while we’re moving. No internet, but that’s not the end of the world…

I can’t think of any more to say right now… I might think of something later.

Ciao.

No comments: