Thursday, March 22, 2007

My 3 day birthday, and a Sombrero...

Right… so you got what I did on the first day of my birthday – I was on a train – I mean… I guess it was my birthday – I was getting “happy birthdays” from Australia. Which being where I was born, I have to say makes my birthday in the northern hemisphere start a little bit earlier.

Coming from the warmth of the south back into the frigidity of the north was a bit of a shock to the system… but I don’t think it really hit me until I saw the snow on the ground outside the train – wind picking up ice crystals and blowing them around giving the scene a somewhat arctic-tundra-esque feeling… quite pretty, but so friggin cold…

When I got off the train I went and dropped my bags off at the hostel and decided to catch a movie. Really not time to do much else and I really wanted to see 300. So I wandered back into the subway and caught the train into the city and went to a cinema on 34th st. Huge place… anyway went in, got my ticket and sat at the back of the theatre. The 300 is an amazing movie. One of those epics that when you get out of you feel 10ft tall and bullet proof… great. I’m not going to talk too much about it for the benefit of those of you who haven’t seen it yet. All I’ll say is if you get the chance – go see it at the cinema… so good on the big screen.

In any case; local time-wise my birthday dawned in NYC. I didn’t have much time to think about it, however as I was busy packing my things and catching another train headed up to Montreal. We all know my feelings about Montreal so I won’t go on too much about the city itself… When I got in I contacted both Ashley and Natasha (hi guys!) who I met last time I was up here at the “Geography party” section of the pub crawl. Anyway – I’ve been keeping in touch with them and they were keen to catch up with me again when I got back. So anyway, Tash was sick but Ashley was still keen to come out. So it was pretty funny when not even an hour into the pub crawl I pop out side and walk in with this gorgeous, petite, girl at my side… I got some pretty funny looks. Would have been hilarious to see their faces if both the girls had come… anyway, we sat down and had a couple of beers at the first bar, and then headed to the second bar for a bit… drank more, took drunk photos, drank Sangreal (Red wine mixed with something else – just call it recipe for a hangover…) and then headed to a third bar, before disbanding at about 2.30am (honestly that’s a guess.. I have no idea what time it was…) Very good night.

The next day I was supposed to catch a bus back to Toronto at 2pm… I was way too sick to be bothered so I made an executive decision and booked into the hostel for another night. I was meant to meet Natasha for lunch – but we were both too sick for that, and ended up – thanks to my hangover – planning to go out for dinner. So we went out to a Mexican restaurant with the promise of a surprise later on… not one who takes surprises very well – especially when they’re hinted at previously… I was understandably a little scared. But it turned out (after my enormous meal) to be that they give anyone who’s having a birthday at the restaurant a sombrero hat and a slice of something with a candle in it. Hilarious. But anyway – my search for a hat is over at least for a while… and Ashley, Natasha and I sat around talking for ages afterwards… was a really nice night, and a great way to cap off my 3 day birthday… Good friends, good food, a Sombrero and “The Monkeys” walk down the street...

And they both said if I ever want to move to Montreal they’d help me out. Haha… *coughs* not that I wouldn’t. I love it here… we’ll see… maybe one day… it's very tempting guys...



Someday we'll look back on this moment and plow into a parked car. - Evan Davis

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Hey Troy,

had a boring saturday night in with no money and remembered what you'd said about your blog.

Looks like you're having fun! Can't believe it's your birthday again already.

Happy birthday.

PS. some of those photos are trippy

Anonymous said...

You're pretty sly about glossing over things about me. Thanks, makes me feel real important. Ah well, no worries, I suppose you're more of a private person.....wait, does that make sense? This is a blog! :-p