Thursday, December 28, 2006

Day of Departure – Leg 1 awakenings.

Adelaide to Melbourne.

My alarm went off at 5am this morning. I turned over, moaned, and pushed my wake up time back another hour… I woke up at 5.55 am got up and had my shower. At about 6.03 I heard the house vibrating and realized that I hadn’t disabled the alarm on my phone, and it had been going off for a few minutes. You have to realize something about my mobile phone alarm – it is un-relenting. It will beep at you in progressively more persistent ear splitting tones, until you get to it and turn it off, or until the battery runs flat. I very rarely even let it beep once, the first half vibrate is normally enough to snap me awake, that’s how light a sleeper I am. Having said that, if I am snoring it doesn’t wake me up… why is that I wonder?

Anyway, I woke up at about 6.30 well after my shower and last minute rushing around was over, and waited for a while until I felt it was sufficiently close enough to 7am to wake up Sunil, who had very kindly offered to take me to the airport. Thus saving me about $25 in taxi fees. As we drove to the airport we chatted a bit… I told him about my interesting week… frustratingly interesting, both good and bad, and neither of which I will recount for the world… as I’ve said before, Life goes on…

The day has dawned cool and clear. I’m glad its not the 40+ that I predicted, because I am wearing enough winter clothes to keep me warm (I hope) in the minus whatever temperatures that are bound to greet me when I get to Toronto in 30 something hours. This has served 2 purposes – first is that I can claim as much of the stuff as possible that I’m wearing at customs on the way out of the county in Melbourne, and secondly is that I could close my bag. It is very full. I am hoping to see it again in north America….

And here I am… sitting at gate 22 at Adelaide airport, waiting the last few minutes before departure, an empty take away coffee cup on the seat next to me… a little nervous. But still not fully comprehending where I will wake up next… sweating lightly in my Icebreaker merino undergarments…

More later.

No comments: