Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Entry 2 - A Giant Mug with a Bagel, and Sand Castles in the Mall.



So….

I think interesting is the best word to describe what happened today. Joan Lesley “international psychic” (I assume psychics aren’t limited by international travel) on first impressions, quite an ordinary older lady, sort of like a young grandmother in characteristics and familiarity… with a bachelor of psychology. She said some very interesting things. To start with she asked when I was born, instantly she was saying that I’d had a tough year…(after confirming what everyone this year has told me – that I don’t look 27) she asked when my ex was born (I didn’t tell her I had an ex – but I guess these days, who doesn’t?) and I told her. She proceeded to describe her and her entire family to me in fairly accurate depth and detail – even to the point of saying that the parents were into something like spiritual or religious or something (they are pastors). Spooky. Anyway, without getting too nasty, she told me exactly what she thought of her, what she’s like and even gave a sort of description of her. All very accurate. Then she asked me about who I was seeing now, and again, without going into specifics, told me that she liked her. A lot. I replied that so do I. and she asked why I was so worried about it, etc etc… don’t want to jinx what she said, but it was all very interesting. Told me about my traveling… said that the New Year was going to be awesome and that the next 5 or 6 years would be fantastic for me, a whole new start etc… Maybe in part I heard what I wanted to hear, maybe she used her psychology degree to read me more than her cards… but there was definitely some interesting things said. She finished the session by calling in the girl from the office and telling her to do some “cleansing and balancing” and ‘cause its Christmas, not to charge me for it (she was a master of the add on sale) and then she said to do something else which I couldn’t pronounce and under her breath said “and only charge him half price for that” *rolls eyes*. Anyway… they took me to the back room and told me to take off my shoes and socks and roll up the bottom of my pants, then I laid on my back on a massage table, they placed a weighted blindfold over my eyes and stuck some headphones on my ears and played elevator music to me with a background of twittering birds and heavy rain. I like rain, but the foot massage was even better. They did some other things that I’m assuming cleansed and healed and balanced me, but I would have paid $30 just for them to do the foot massage for half an hour. It was good. When they’d finished they suggested that I had a lot of pent up stress and that I should definitely come back before Christmas for another healing… I told them I was working right up until I leave and bid them thank-you and goodbye. One interesting thing is that Joan taped the session. That’s right. Tape. I don’t own a tape deck. In fact I know very few people that own tape decks. . . I think its time for her to go digital, I should have tried to sell her a CD recorder… with an extended warranty (at half price). As I left I was told I should drink plenty of water and juice and not cross my arms or legs.

Make what you will of that.

One interesting thing I did notice was the presence of a lot of Catholic symbolism; posters, wall hangings, statues etc. I’m not quite sure what the Catholics would think of that, especially when at one point Joan said that the Archangel Michelangelo (or something) was standing at my right shoulder protecting me… I mean, that’s nice of him, but I’m sure he has more important things to attend to… like peeling God’s grapes or something…

Then my schedule led me to the gym where I had an appointment to cancel my membership. The lady came over to me and asked me my name… gave me a puzzled look, went away, came back and told me that my membership was cancelled in July, and that I hadn’t paid anything since then. I’ll have to check my bank accounts, and to be fair, I haven’t actually checked that it has been coming out, I just assumed. But I never cancelled it, and according to the normal rules of gym membership, if you do cancel you should still have to pay out the rest of the 12 month membership costs, and I didn’t. So. That’s good news… I’ve saved several hundred dollars without actually knowing it. It doesn’t really reflect in my bank balance and I don’t know what I’ve done with the extra $39 a fortnight, but I am glad that it hasn’t gone to a membership that I haven’t been using.

Then while waiting for 6 o’clock to roll around I found a Starbucks and got a “Venti” mug of the coffee of the day, which was Verona… a dark chocolaty sort of coffee in a ginormous mug. They also had bagels there, and as I’m going to the states soon, I thought I probably should try one. I picked a Blueberry bagel, and after electing to pay the 75c for light cream cheese I watched as the girl battled with a bread knife to try to saw thru the dense donut shaped bun. I then waited 10 minutes for her to remember that after it had been toasted, she’s actually meant to give it to me, and smiled as she handed me the luke-warm bagel and said if it wasn’t hot to tell her and she could do me another one. Not being one to complain I said it was fine and sat down to my bagel and cream cheese and enormous mug of chocolaty coffee… and wrote some of this entry. I realized at one point that I was sitting with my legs crossed and quickly un-crossed myself.

Then I left for the Architecture info night. On the way I passed some very cool sand castle sculptures with a Christmas theme. Very cool, I guess if you have to make snow men out of something when its 40C outside, it might as well be sand…

The architecture information was very interesting… I really felt like I was keen to be back in that environment of learning and study. Good thing about the course is that it involves a lot of hands on stuff, very few exams and a lot of group work. All of which suits me fine. The model building looks really great, and there are a lot of excursions and field trips to go on… wait and see if I get in I guess.

Time to head home, the wind is starting to pick up and it’s getting quite cool (nothing to what I’ll be experiencing in a couple of weeks – but enough to raise the hairs on my arms and harden my nipples)

Anyway, I guess if I’ve gotten anything out of today, it’s the thought that if you are what you drink – then I’m a giant mug with a blueberry bagel…





Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing. - Randy K. Milholland

No comments: