Saturday, January 27, 2007

Australia Day Musings;

Sitting in Shannon’s apartment looking out the window, listening to chasing cars by the snow patrol… I can’t normally write blog entries while listening to music, its distracting… but I felt the need to write… so here I am. One advantage of touch typing is that I can actually sit and look out the window as I type, not having to look at the screen, letting my mind wander and ponder the words of this song… looking at a city that’s virtually learned to live thru the cold… again, it was minus 15 as I walked here this morning and its so cold that my gloves don’t work and my fingers ache… and the breath coming thru my scarf wrapped around my face freezes on the outside. Then when you get inside it feels like your fingers are in vices as they de frost… its an odd feeling… reminds me of scraping the ice out of the old freezer at home and then putting my hands in the sink with hot water in it.

So its Australia day pre party, and I’m really looking forward to it, still deciding which T-shirt to wear.. the one that says “Fcuk down under” or the one that says “No Fcuking worries” I think it’ll be the latter… its nice to try to fool people (of course I have worries – who doesn’t?). I’ve done my bit so far and had some vegemite on toast… drinking beer will be later!

Here’s an observation for you, and a warning if you are ever planning on coming up here, forget driving on the other side of the road, this is much more important… people walk past each other on the right too… its keep right all the way here… trying to walk past someone on the left gets you funny looks… I feel like I need a T-shirt saying “Sorry – I’m Australian; We hang to the left…”

Another observation – snow does 2 interesting things that I’ve seen… sometime it goes up. Which is quite cool… Also the temperature actually goes up when it starts snowing. So its lucky its snowing now and I don’t have my long johns on cause I had to wash them… but its not so cold now, so its okay… only other thing about snow is that it stings when it gets you in the eye…

I’m just doing a final load of laundry before I go on Sunday on my little trip. Thinking of going down the street to see if I can find a nice outfit for “Going Out” all of my stuff is pretty casual, I do have a couple of shirts, but all I really have is jeans, and *shrugs* I don’t know why I need to tell you this… so I’ll shut up now.

I’ll tell you more tomorrow when I’ve recovered from tonight…



Don't knock the weather. If it didn't change once in a while, nine out of ten people couldn't start a conversation. - Kin Hubbard

No comments: